Monday, November 26, 2012

1 Week Old and NICU life

Chance is 1 week old today!

I can't believe it's already been a week.  Seems like a blur of the biggest nightmare and God's greatest blessing all at the same time.
I don't even know where to begin with explaining all the ups and downs and in between of this past week.  In short, I had just started a pregnancy memory note on my i phone so I'm going to just copy that first:
  • 24 weeks- going to hear your heart beat again.  I can't wait!
  • 11-18-12- my water broke
  • 11-19-12- Chance born 8:03 am via c section, 1 lb 13 oz and 13 inches long
  • 11-21-12- Chance started hemorrhaging (bleeding) in his lungs
  • 11-22-12- Pastor Wallace came up to bless baby Chance
  • 11-23-12- 4 days old, Chance is very stable this morning.  They turned down ventilator machine he's on.  He's going to have an EKG done to see if the PDA valve in his heart has closed.
  • 11-25-12- I got to be there and change his 1st poop diaper!  yay!  digestive system getting a kick start.  Chance loves to pee right after fresh diaper is put on and before we get it closed up!
The nurses and doctors told us to buckle up and get ready to ride the roller coaster of ups and downs.  Chance is called a Micro Preemie because how small he is.  Obviously, he is still supposed to be inside of me where I regulate all his body systems.  So, it's a lot of trial and error trying to figure out his little system.
Progress today:
  • had to hold off on more feedings, his stomach just isn't tolerating it.  He's getting all nurishment thru the iv's.  They'll start feedings again soon.
  • PRAYER LIST:  main focus is getting his lungs stronger and making sure there's no bleeding in the brain and that his eyes and brain progress and develop perfectly.
  • PDA heart valve is smaller and they think it will close the rest on it's own.
  • He's needing about 49% oxygen level
  • He's progressing wonderfully!
They're running a lot more tests today so will update with results when I know more.

One day at a time!

Thank you so much to everyone for your sweet prayers and words of encouragement.  Joc and I love each of you dearly and it's made this situation seem a little more bearable. 
 We love y'all!


















    proud mama!


7 comments:

  1. Oh Ashley, I can't read any of this without tearing up. Praying for y'all every day. LOVE all these beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing mom and Joc is an amazing dad! God is so perfect in choosing who can go through trials like this and certainly hit the ball out of the park when He chose you guys! The strongest couple I know:) Praying EVERYDAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to these updates and specific ways to pray! Thank you for taking the time! You are such an encouragement and example of strength. I pray for all three of you several times a day. Please let us know if you ever need anything. I can tell from the pictures and fight that Chance is going to be a sweet cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing your story and giving us updates! I couldn't stop the tears reading your notes and seeing the sweet pictures of Chance. All I know is that you are going to be such an amazing, strong mom after going through this. Also, what a testimony of your faith in all of this. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley, don't know if you remember me and Ryan, but we've been praying consistently for ya'll and Chance! He's definitely a "fighting" Chance! I was tearing up seeing the pictures and reading the blog posts. How can anybody not see that unborn babies are human as well?!? I loved seeing pictures of his movements like his stretching etc. :) We also got our church in Utah praying for ya'll as well! I can't wait to read more on his encouraging progress! Thank you for sharing your story! Also hope you're healing up well too! :) Continuing praying for ya'll! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are praying for you Baby Chance! Love, Helica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! Look at you in the upright position!! I only saw you laying in the bed while we were trying to keep you pregnant! I love the name Chance, I think it fits him perfectly.

    I'm sure you have a million things on your mind and a million things to do, but I used to do Pediatric Home Health for a short while before I started doing Labor and Delivery. I took care of a baby that was a micro premie. Here is their blog: http://www.wesleybyork.blogspot.com. I still keep up with the family and I'm sure she'd be willing to answer questions or provide support if you'd like me to hook you guys up.

    Just let me know.

    -Latrice

    ReplyDelete